The Word of God
What rules do you live your life by?
2 Timothy 3:1-6-17
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
- · The Bible is to be applied to our lives
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
- · The Word is relevant today
- · Like a sword, it cuts out sin
2 Peter 1:20-21
- · Like a pencil is used to write, men were used to get the will of God written down. A pencil by itself has no will of its own.
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.
· Intellectual belief is not enough, you must hold to his teachings
· “Hold” in the verse is much stronger. It is more of a life-saving hold
· Sincerity does not equal the truth. People can be sincerely wrong. Religious people can be wrong. Our hearts can also change from moment to moment.
Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked,
· A command of God takes precedence over the tradition of man
· People may live by tradition rather than the Word of God
· Worship by tradition can be worship in vain if it nullifies the Word of God
1 Timothy 4:16
· Life is the way we live. Doctrine is the Word of God. Which is more important?
· Like the wings on a plane, both are equally important
· Why is this important? It is a matter of salvation
10 As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue.
· In Thessalonica, the brothers were chased out of town
· In contrast, in Berea, the Word was received with greater eagerness
· Like the Bereans, we have to check what religious leaders are saying.
· The Berean Challenge: Read and study the bible every day. Write down notes for every sermon. Value God’s Word.
· The Word of God helps show us where we really at before God. It shows us what we need to be working on.
· We are not the judge. God is the judge.
· Judgment is not based on feelings, traditions, or personal convictions. The Word of God is what will judge us.
· Why study the Bible?
Decision: Will you live by the Bible, or will you continue to live by traditions, feelings, opinions, etc.