Sermon Archive

For sermons previous to June 2015, please visit our sermon archive for: 2015 and 2012-14

Sunday, January 24, 2016

"Impossible Mission Force" by Mike Rock






Impossible Mission Force


Matthew 28:16-20 (NIV)
16  Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17  When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18  Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20  and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

1.             Desperate Mission.

Matthew 9:35-38 (NIV)
35  Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36  When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37  Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."

Matthew 23:37-39 (NIV)
37  "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. 38  Look, your house is left to you desolate. 39  For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

2.             Impossible Mission.

Matthew 4:1-17 (NIV)
1  Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. 2  After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3  The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." 4  Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" 5  Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6  "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: "'He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'" 7  Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'" 8  Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9  "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me." 10  Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'" 11  Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. 12  When Jesus heard that John had been put in prison, he returned to Galilee. 13  Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum, which was by the lake in the area of Zebulun and Naphtali-- 14  to fulfill what was said through the prophet Isaiah: 15  "Land of Zebulun and land of Naphtali, the way to the sea, along the Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles-- 16  the people living in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." 17  From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."



Matthew 17:14-20 (NIV)
14  When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. 15  "Lord, have mercy on my son," he said. "He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water. 16  I brought him to your disciples, but they could not heal him." 17  "O unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me." 18  Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed from that moment.
19  Then the disciples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" 20  He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

3.             Final Mission.

Matthew 26:10-13 (NIV)
10  Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11  The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12  When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13  I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her."

Matthew 26:36-39 (NIV)
36  Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37  He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38  Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." 39  Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

John 17:1-5 (NIV)
1  After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2  For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3  Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4  I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5  And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

John 17:20-23 (NIV)
20  "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21  that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22  I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23  I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

John 21:15-17 (NIV)
15  When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?" "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs." 16  Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?" He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep." 17  The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment