Sunday, May 22, 2016
Sunday, May 15, 2016
Go Fund Me
Go fund me description: GoFundMe is a crowdfunding platform that allows people to raise money for events ranging from life events such as celebrations and graduations to challenging circumstances like accidents and illnesses.
· Pictures of dumb things to ask others to help fund
· Picture of Go Fund Me page with goal of $327,000
Be Rich—trying to help others see the light—needing to be rich spiritually, not only here locally but in the Middle East (hardest mission field in the world).
So far collected $145,000 as a region
1. Pressing on Towards The Goal
Most entrepreneur start at nothing with nothing, with a dream of achieving a great goal and making great riches.
For Paul it starts with a dream, a deep desire. He wants to be rich in Christ.
Previously Paul had written about how he wanted to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and sharing in His suffering.
He said he considered everything a loss and garbage compared to the surpassing worth of knowing Christ.
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
· Paul says that he presses on towards the goal. It is so easy to quit when things get tough or we get distracted or discouraged.
· People that are not Christlike want us to quit to, as a matter of fact they will encourage you to quit. They will work as Satan’s agents to distract you and discourage you, but you gotta press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called you heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Following Paul’s Example
15 All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. 16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
17 Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. 18 For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
· Paul says that the mature among us should take that view—that everything outside of Christ is garbage, and to press on to win the prize (to know Christ and make it to heaven—to finish the race).
· Some are not ready for that message, even within the fellowship, and you will see it by the way those people live their lives. Work and kids and activities are first, and God is somewhere down their list of priorities but certainly not #1. If that is you, this scripture points out that God will make that clear to you at some point, you just are not within the group that is mature.
Only let us live up to what we’ve already attained—1. live as a citizen of God’s Kingdom and not as a citizen of this world. 2. Live up to the level of maturity which you’ve grown to, don’t regress but grow in your walk—“step it up!”
Paul wants to get the Philippian church excited about growing in their faith, to take ownership within the church and grow. To be proactive and thrive! No one is going to force you to get close to God, it is a decision you need to make and you will need to commit to it (people can help you study and challenge you, but you must take the steps of faith and commitment).
We are in a way pressing on today towards the goal of giving a large sum of money with the goal of helping others get to know Christ through our giving.
Paul tells them that they can do it! You can do it!
Follow my example and those who live as we do, Paul says.
You can do it!! Do as those who are living exemplary lives around you are doing!! Step out on faith.
If you want to be a successful entrepreneur in your walk with God, if you want to thrive, you need to follow the faith and example of a mentor or mentors.
Imitate them and their faith and their way of life, get with them, talk on the phone with them, get advice from them.
You are not going to figure this out on your own, but you will have to decide to follow in the footsteps of those who are pursue the goal of knowing Christ.
2. Go Fund Me
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!
2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 Yes, and I ask you, my true companion, help these women since they have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my co-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.
· Paul says, I love you and you guys are awesome, never give up pursuing Christ but help these sisters who are not getting along!
· Be good brothers by helping faithful brothers and sisters when they are being boneheads, don’t take sides but help them as family and as people who are heirs along with us. (it is easy for us to take sides and assume and then want to bash someone or just not get involved.
· We all need help at times, we need to look for that help (Go Fund Me). It can be humbling to ask for help, especially for Americans who pride themselves on being strong and independent.
· VS 4-5 When we try to take things on ourselves, it causes stress and anxiety. We can act out and not be gentle but angry and edgy. Paul encourages the church to find joy in the Lord.
· Not only do we need help from others, but we need to look to God to be our refuge.
· In trying to reach our goal today, we have asked many to help fund our efforts towards evangelizing the Middle East and helping those already faithful there.
· Peace walk ($10k so far)
· In your personal giving you re helping those who are currently studying the bible and those about to get baptized.
Jake and Megan getting baptized tonight at 7:30pm at the Arguellos—be there to encourage them! They are a product of special missions, so are you, so am I. Someone planted the ministry you were converted in.
We are soon going to hire a couple here and your special missions offering will help cover their salary for some time. All of the people they help that are already disciples and all those that they help convert will be beneficiaries of your giving today. You are funding something awesone, something that is going to reap eternal benefits.
If you are visiting today with us and want to give to something worthwhile, give to these efforts. Open your heart and open you wallet or checkbook.
If you have given already and want to give more, please do so. Give generously.